My first management experience involved dark rooms, nudes and chemicals.
I was supervisor of the college photo lab where I scheduled shifts and trained rookies on how to set up and use photo equipment. It was pretty low-key, but I specifically remember feeling pride in keeping a tidy shop that was always stocked and ready for people to come in and create. Over the years I’ve held management, director and executive leadership positions in a variety of companies and I still enjoy most about management is helping others to do their best work.
Some of the management/leadership stuff I do:
- Goal setting
- Mentorship and career path development
- Progress and performance tracking
- Creative-specific team building
- Creative space design and build-outs
- Team utilization and profitability